Chinese New Year!!

on 2/14/2005 11:53:00 PM
I've heard ppl saying that when you are no longer enthralled with festivals and celebrations, you've already grown up. Well, i dun know if it's true or not. Before going back home, it was like "ah, no big deal, it's jz chinese new year." and a fren was jz telling me how quiet it was around Melaka for CNY. Besides, we have tests before and even after the holiday, which dimmed the joy of having a week of holiday.

But then, when i got home, the atmostphere changed, or should i say my mood changed. Either way, everything seemed so festive. there's fireworks lighting up the night with colours, loud firecrackers blasting all over the neighbourhood, friends and relatives coming back for reunions and not to forget angpaos to collect. How could I not get into the new year mood? On the New year's Eve, i was filled with anticipation as mom and grandma prepared for the reunion dinner. The air was joyous and lighthearted with the ubiquitous new year songs wafting in it. When I looked around, loving faces which i missed and the familiar place where i was so used to, greeted my eyes like never before. I'm home. Back to where i belong.

With this, i enjoyed CNY like any other kids. I've never had so much fun for a long time. We have steamboat for dinner and we never got fed up with junking all the food stuff in the boiling soup. Mom, dad, my sisters, me and other family members all sat down eating and chatting happily in the warm dining room filled with nice mouth-watering aroma. After that, the TV will be blasting new year movies or concerts while we kids play with firecrackers. It was thrilling as you light the wick with a joss stick and everyone run helter-skelter for cover as it sparks. Then you stare in awe when the explosion kicks in with bright hueful shoots of light. nothing beats simply joy. Really. :P

When my aunt came with her husband and kids, our house got even merrier. The restless kiddos were here and there, with friends and relatives chatting noisily about how the kids had grown, giving remarks on the adults as well, and practically everything else. I was not much of a chatter, but i was jz happy that i'm in the picture. There's angpao collecting also, which is our favourite part of CNY :P. It is a tradition where the adults(usually married) give the kids red packets of $$ each to bring good luck. Anyway, it brings smiles on many faces. The amount of angpao this year was less compared to previous years, but that's due to my short holiday. Anyhow, i'd be grateful being able to get back home for the celebration.

Things aren't the same as they were before. I'd learnt to appreciate them and not take them for granted. For certain, being away from home had taught me this. Although my break for CNY was short, i'm happy that i enjoyed every moment of it. I had spent time with Mom baking cookies, went around town with dad on my trusty bike, fooled around with my sisters and cousins, and 'manja' abit with my grandma. This is what CNY and other holiday seasons are about; getting close with your family again.

hehe.. I've grown up quite a bit, eh? Well, i'm still a kid and am enjoying as much as possible while i'm still at it :P. It's like wat they say, you'll never be young twice, so i'm making out the most of it. Wee~~~

Last but not least, I wish everyone a jolly CNY and an enjoyable holiday!! Have fun while you still can!! hehehe...

Bits of Life | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com